Tuesday 10 March 2015

A New Beginning

       It was the end of another academic year but it was unlike any other. As much as I looked forward to it, I dreaded it with equal fervor. I had finished my schooling and it was time to join for a new college. It was a new beginning, a brand new chapter of my life. But I was scared. I was scared of the new beginning. I was scared of leaving behind the comfort zone and step into the unknown. I was scared of loneliness. Above all, I was scared thinking what if I don't fit in! I had always enjoyed the affection of teachers and I was a top student in my school. Everybody adored me. What if I couldn't achieve the same in the new environment? Would I fit in easily or would I be an outcast? Questions like these started gnawing at the back of mind and I started feeling miserable.

       Actually, the choice was easy. I could have opted to the same college where all my friends joined in. It would have been easier. No need to make new friends, no need to be afraid of not fitting in. I would still be among my gang and life will be as it was - Easy. But there was one concern though. There was another more prestigious college and I had got admission there. It was a dream come true. I had always dreamt of joining there and getting a seat there was an achievement. But the fear of not fitting in made me consider my decision again.

       Time was running out and I had to make a decision soon. On one side was certainty and on the other side was change. It was a difficult situation but after lot of thinking I decided to go for the latter. I decided to let go of my fear and face the change head on. Sure, it would take time. But I was certain I could adapt to the changes. And so, I joined my dream college.


       In the beginning, it was a little difficult. I was the only one who had joined there from my school and so I had no friends there.  I had to sit alone and I have to manage on my own. But I didn't give up. I worked hard and read well. Also, I made new friends slowly as days passed. And now when I look back, I feel silly about my fears. How naive I was when I thought I wouldn't fit in. If I had thinking the same, then I would never have got an opportunity to join this prestigious institution and make my name. I am glad I didn't give in to my fears and made the right decision that day. I, who was scared of changes, agree now that changes are good. They give you so much to learn!

This post is written for housing.com



Until the next post,
Sudhi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment